Beautify your yard with super-soaking native plants!
Spring is approaching! Have you found yourself thinking about landscaping, fixing up an old garden, or just wanting to spend some time outside? This is a great time to incorporate some native prairie plants into your landscaping, giving you a fun, family-friendly activity to do at home!
Native plants can be hard to find at traditional gardening or hardware stores, so The Rain Campaign has teamed up with local nurseries to make your search for native plants easy. Simply select the quantity and species you want, and your prairie plus will be ready to plant into the ground as soon as you receive them! Need help deciding? Visit our Native Landscaping page for more resources on selecting a location in your yard, choosing the appropriate species, and arrangement tips.
A Pollinator Pack is a “prairie in a box.” Included in the package will be planting tips and plant tags to keep track of your new plants!
A variety of sun-loving prairie flowers that are native to Central Iowa will be included in each pack. These plant plugs are generally 6-12 inches tall and will be immediately ready to plant.
These native plants are suited to any home landscaping. Expect each plant to grow to 3-4 feet or shorter.
Allendan Seed Company is located in Winterset, Iowa, where they have been growing, harvesting, and selling native prairie seed and plants since 1980. Operating on over 4,000 acres or prairie, Allendan specializes in native prairie plants.
How to order:
1. Visit allendanseed.com/native-plugs.
2. Select the number of plugs that you wish to purchase (4 sizes available).
3. Select your plant species. Consider the location of where you plan to plant, the amount of sunlight available, and the desired height of each plant when selecting your species.
4. Proceed with online checkout. Your Pollinator Pack will be shipped directly to your door, ready to be planted!
Blooming Prairie Nursery is located in Carlisle, Iowa. It began in 1997 after the founder had been involved in Iowa native prairie restoration while employed by the Iowa Department of Transportation as the Roadside Vegetation Manager for five counties in northern Iowa.
3 ways to order:
1. Call (515)-689-9444 or (515)-971-7350
2. Visit the nursery at 17943 Cleveland St., Carlisle, IA (Calling ahead is suggested)
Do you own a nursery and want to put together Pollinator Packs for customers? Let us know and we’ll include you in our list of partnering nurseries!
Why Native Plants?
Across Iowa, our native prairie has been mostly eliminated by rural farming and urban development. However, we can help bring back important native species by incorporating them into landscaping at home! Here are some benefits of native plants:
- Prairie plants benefit pollinators and birds by providing food sources, giving them a tasty treat!
- Prairie plants have deep roots that can help make your soil more like a sponge to soak up stormwater.
- Prairie plants can help improve water quality by minimizing stormwater runoff from your property.
- Prairie plants are well adapted to Iowa weather, meaning they can tolerate heavy rains and hot, dry summers too!
Iowa Native Plants
(Not all will be included in your Pollinator Pack)
The Rain Campaign
ENABLING PEOPLE TO PROTECT WATER